October 2010 ~ Cape Hatteras

Thursday, January 20, 2011

And Life Goes On...

I have sat at my computer so many times in the last month, trying to come up with words or pictures to share...ughh..in a slump.

Oh, we have had pictures galore and tons of fun ! Christmas was an absolute blast and great to watch the kids rip through presents (well, Carver did...Maz tried to hold all of her "opened" presents and then made me "open" the rest of her presents FOR her!)




AND Miss Mazzelyn Tayte turned 2 years old!!! Our friend Aubrey made her a Curious George cake (which she loved!) and we had a few friends over to celebrate!




We visited friends in NY...this means we DROVE 10 hours EACH way...well worth it and the kids were (pretty) good. We stayed in E-ville (Ellicottville, NY) and there was most definitely a good time had by ALL ! And the kids got to snowboard...at 4 yrs old and 2 yrs old I would say they are doing pretty well.



So unfortunately this is going to be a very "mixed" kind of post...on January 5th my Papa (grandfather) passed away. It wasn't a complete shock...he was 84 yrs old...and caring for my grandmother (whom happens to have Alzheimer's). He was the most amazing man I have ever met, to this day I cannot do a very good job describing why...my cousins and I stayed out late at a local bar "writing" his Eulogy (possibly weird to most, but just right for us)...it was wonderfully written...I give most of the credit to my cousin Brad, he did such an awesome job and spoke what the rest of us could not find words for...when I receive my copy I will post it...



My grandfather spent many years of his life as a photographer, small or big, EVERYTHING was photographed, he was gentle, calm, and level headed, he never rushed and always just enjoyed the people around him. I don't think he took anything for granted.
I had the strangest dream a few night before he passed away. I knew something was going to happen soon. In my dream I was at their house and things were not really the same...things weren't in the right spot...just a sense of calm and peace but still...change. I hadn't seen him in a year. I feel guilty, but I know he would have never held it against me...he was the one person that never gave me a guilt trip for not visiting...always just happy to see me when I showed up. (I live 3 hours away) He was always the one solid person in all of life's up and downs...when you walked into their house everything was always familiar and you always got a hug (and usually a joke from him!)

This picture was taken at the request of my grandmother...moments before walking into the church for his service...they were married 64 years and were almost always seen holding hands...I am pretty sure these will be the saddest days of her life. The young men surrounding her are all of the grandsons.


This is one of my Papa's greatest creations and biggest joys...(other than all of our mothers...his 5 girls that he would have done anything for...)


So my post is short and bittersweet...sorry it's been so long but sometimes life gets in the way.

1 comment: