Well, this blog is mostly about Carver and Mazzy but I just had to post a little blurb about my amazing little sister (Yes, I have two, but today will be about the "baby") As most of you may already now Theresa and Whit had their baby boy last night. Zephyr made his appearance at 8:15pm Tuesday night. Theresa was not due for about 2 more weeks but blood work done on Monday showed that she had developed a life threatening "pregnancy" related illness called HELLP. The only cure is to deliver. However, delivering the baby was still a rather complicated matter...an immediate c-section (going completely against their birth plan) was about as dangerous as actually laboring. A c-section would have required a blood platelet transfusion before and after. Laboring for a vaginal birth required a magnesium drip to keep her from having a seizure, which also made her very tired and she was not allowed the "normal" pain meds (epidural etc. - not that she wanted anything initially... but come on 24hours - is a LONG time) So she was induced on Monday night and her very long journey began. She labored the 1st 16 or 17 hours with her husband Whit, their chosen Douala and our mom. I showed up around hour 17 (noon on Tuesday). She was doing great but getting discouraged and very tired. (she was only about 3cm at noon..then only 4cm- 4 hours later) She must have heard the prayers being sent her way...or maybe that stubborn streak showed its wonderful face. I saw her make a choice when she could have thrown the towel in, it wasn't made in words, but by shear determination. I never saw her question "the process" again. She took every contraction with absolute confidence and unbelievable grace. (had I experienced even half of what I saw in her during my 1st delivery with Carver, things would have ended in other ways than a c-section! )And as the nurses and midwife were quietly whispering about the "next " step (they had not checked her dilation for a couple hours) I prayed she had "showed" progress so the big "C" word wouldn't show its ugly face (I also prayed her kidneys and platelet levels stayed in the "OK" zone since she has no control over that) Boy were those nurses surprised when they found her at 10cm and ready to push!! I think Theresa surprised herself too!! So 24+hours after induction, with little to no "pain med" options my little sister pushed that little boy out in less than 40 minutes (I am pretty sure it would have been like two pushes had she not been so completely exhausted) I am not sure she even realized how "sick"this HELLP had made her or how serious it was, I think she just knew what was going to be best for her baby...and you always do what is best for your baby...
I had never witnessed a birth before...and I have never been so proud! She found every bit of amazing strength and WOW..I don't even have words...those last 6 hours of labor had to be so very difficult...and all I can say is strength,dignity and grace. He is a beautiful baby boy, your son, my nephew and Carver and Mazzy's brand new little cousin...you are awesome Theresa!
No comments:
Post a Comment